What is Body Composition?
Body Composition is a method of breaking down the body into its core components: fats, proteins, minerals, and body water. It describes your weight more accurately and provides a better glimpse into your overall health than traditional methods. Body composition can accurately show changes in the fat mass, muscles mass, and body fat percentage.
Why do you need to understand your weight in terms of muscle and fat?
You may be aware of the normal weight ranges, but how do you get there? If you only focus on losing weight, you may end up losing muscle mass and eventually sabotage your efforts. By differentiating between muscle and fat, body composition removes the guesswork of determining what your weight fluctuations mean, be it muscle gain, fat loss, or anything in between.
Whatever your goals may be, an important thing to keep in mind during your health journey is that skinny does not always equal healthy.
What are the benefits of
- Find your baseline so you know what you need to lose, gain, or maintain
- Assess your Percent Body Fat so you can focus on fat loss, not just weight loss
- Maximize your workout routine to fit your unique health and fitness goals
- Calculate your caloric needs and create a personalized nutrition plan
- Set realistic goals, accurately monitor progress, and stay motivated
- Make more educated decisions to improve your body composition
How do you track your progress with body composition outputs?
With body composition, you can easily track progress and measure the effectiveness of your diet and exercise regimen.
There are several essential body composition outputs that you can use to track your progress over time: